I’ve never shied away from a riveting debate, but I’m not sure if I can handle this one …
But, since I need your help …
In a short while I’m going to be on the market for a new computer.
I’ve thought about buying a Mac, but I’m not sure if it is worth the extra expense.
Since I have some of the smartest readers in the world, I thought I’d ask you to help me decide – Apple or PC? By the way, I’ll be buying a laptop.
A change is needed.
I’ve had a lot of trouble with my Toshiba laptop. I’ve glared at the blue screen of death far too many times.
Dad always told me that you get what you pay for.
I guess that’s why my $400 laptop has been giving me issues after a couple of years.
In Favor of Buying a Personal Computer:
- Price – I can get a lot more computer for the same price as an Apple. When you line up a laptop pc and a Mac spec by spec, you get an awful lot more computer with a PC.
- My buying philosophy – Generally, I try a cheaper product to see if it will do the job and then upgrade if (and only if) it is under performing. I’ve convinced myself that since I’ll be doing more work on a computer, I’ll need to pay more like $1,000-$1,500 for a laptop (instead of the $500 range).
- Compatibility Issues – I don’t even know if this is an actual issue or assumed one. I’ve got programs on my computer and a monitor that I question the compatibility with a Mac. I’m just afraid that either I’m going to have to do a lot of work to confirm what is compatible, and I’m not sure if it’s worth the effort.
- Compatibility Convenience – Yes, I think this is different than #3. There are some conveniences that come from using what the majority of the world uses.
- This old dog doesn’t want to learn new tricks. Plain and simple: I like what I know. I sometimes find it frustrating trying to learn new things when I already know how to do old things.
In Favor of Buying a Mac:
- Quality – From what I’ve heard, people with Macs experience far fewer issues with stability. I find technical glitches and computer problems extremely frustrating, so I would be willing to pay a premium to have to avoid such issues.
- Size – Those itty bitty Mac laptops would be much nicer to carry than a massive laptop.
- User testimonials – I often here “I love my Mac”, “Best thing I ever did was to switch,” and “I would never go back to a PC.” How can you argue with user testimonials?
Here are my questions for any readers who are able to answer them:
Here’s the MacBook Pro that I’m looking at and a sample Toshiba laptop.
Why all the Mac LUV? I’ve heard so many people talk about how they love the Apple computers, but I’m not sure why? It is like some type of ethereal spiritual experience that is impossible to put into words? Get concrete. What is it you love about Macs?
Are there any folks who tried the Mac and went back to a PC? Obviously, those who are still using a Mac are those who like it. However, I’d like to know if someone’s bought one and decided it didn’t measure up to their expectations.
Get free updates